Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Golden Cucumber (Timun Mas)

Once upon a time, in a small village on the foot of the mountain, there lived a poor farmer who had been married to his wife for more than ten years. Although they were poor, they always enjoyed life. The only thing missing was a child. Being childless was almost unbearable for them since they loved children very much. However, they never gave up hope.

On top of the mountain was a man-eating giant who likes to prey on kids. The giant heard about the couple who longed to have a baby and he came up with a mean plan.

One day the giant climbed down the mountain and visited the couple. He offered the couple an agreement.

Giant : “What would you sacrifice to have a child?”

Couple: “Would you do anything,”

Giant : “Even if I ask you to sacrifice something you really love?”

Mother: “Oh, it doesn’t matter, really. We’re really desperate to have

a baby.”

Giant ; “Ok, then. Since you are a nice couple, I think it wouldn’t

hurt me to make your dream come true. I’ll give you some

magic cucumber seeds. Grow them well and when it is a

harvest time, you will find a baby girl in one of those

cucumbers.”

Couple: Do you really mean it?”

Giant : “Of course, I do … You can have and take care of the baby.

But remember you must give back her to me on her

seventeenth birthday! Is it a deal?”

Couple: “Ok, it’s a deal!”

After giving the farmers some magic cucumber seeds, they giant went back to the top mountain they picked cucumber and tack it home when the mother cut it. She was surprised. There was a baby crying inside the cucumber. Oee oee oeee …... They named her Timun Mas.

As time went by Timun Mas grew into not only a kind, beautiful, and smart young lady, but also a green thumb --- someday who is outstanding or growing plants. She was almost 17 years old. It meant that her parents had to let Timun Mas be with the giant soon. On her seventeenth birthday, her parents told Timun Mas about the deal they had made with the giant. Knowing that she would be separated from her parents, Timun Mas burst into tears.

Timun Mas: “Don’t let the giant take and prey on me, Daddy!”

Father : “We won’t let anything bad happen to you, my dear,”

“You must leave this house so the giant will not find you.

Bring these bags with you. When the giant chases you, take

the needle and the salt from the bags and throw them at the

giant.”

Reluctantly Timun Mas left the house, bidding farewell to her parents. It was the only way to avoid the giant. Not long after, the giant came and asked where Timun Mas was.

Father : “You will not find Timun Mas. We won’t let you prey on her,”

Giant : “Prey on your girl? What do you mean? Haven’t you heard

the latest gossip about me?”

“You see, I am a vegetarian now. I don’t prey on kids

anymore.”

Mother: “Vegetarian? How come?”

Giant : “I am an old giant now. I’ve consumed meat for the whole of

my life so my cholesterol and blood pressure are quite high. I

don’t want to have a heart attack. I must go on a diet and

stop consuming meat,”

Father: “Oh, I see …”

“Then why are you still looking for my daughter?”

Giant : “Umm… actually …”

I’ve heard that Timun Mas is very good at growing stuff. If

you don’t mind, I want her to give me some tips. Once I

learn the ropes, I want to pursue my dream and become a

professional farmer.”

Mother: “Oh, then you’d better hurry and find her. She left the house

a few minutes ago. I’m sure she hasn’t got too far yet,”

“But you must be very careful. You’ll find many obstacles

while chasing her. She’s fully armed,”

Father: “Bring this axe to slash the thorny trees but don’t hurt her,

okay?” And this life vest can help you swim.”

Giant : Don’t worry. I am leaving now,”

With hid giant steps, the giant started to chase Timun Mas. It didn’t take a long time for the giant to get her. “Timun Mas! Timun! Wait!” the giant screamed, trying to the stop her.

But the giant’s scream made Timun Mas afraid of him instead. She ran faster and faster. When the giant was got, she threw needles at the giant. All of sudden, they turned into a thick forest with thorny trees. The giant was ready with his axe to cut down all of the trees that had hampered him to chase Timun Mas.

Timun Mas was so frightened. Soon she threw some salt at the giant, which suddenly change into a vast sea. The giant put on the life jacket and swam across the sea. He was finally able to get Timun Mas, whose adrenalin was pumped out of fear.

Timun Mas: “Please, Mr. Giant. Have mercy on me.

I’ll cook and clean your house … please don’t eat me,”

Giant: “Don’t be afraid, Timun Mas. I won’t prey on you,”

Timun Mas: “Really…? B…but why…? My parents told me that…”

Giant : “Your parents are right. But I’ve changed now …”

“I have turned into a vegetarian and I wanted very much to

learn about farming, Timun mas.”

Then, hand in hand, Timun Mas and the giant grew fruits and vegetables in the giant’s back yard. This collaboration resulted in a famous farm called “Giant Cucumber”. Together they made a lot of money from selling the fruits and vegetables they planted, and since they were good at controlling their cash flow.

From then, they lived happily ever after.

The End

2 comments:

  1. Mas ceritone apik-apik iki.

    Happy Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  2. oke thanks ya... dah berkunjung...
    intake mas pramono ya....

    ReplyDelete